Monday, March 17, 2014

Secret Gardens...

Magical garden entrance
Doorway
love the archway..
beautiful garden
Garden of Her Love
lavender garden
one of my weaknesses...lavender
Can I move in? How perfect!
garden at night
boho garden 
Outdoor 
I could sit here all evening... 
 
My mother is a gardener - in fact, in my opinion, she is a floral magician.  She was taught by her mother and then by the amazing women that were a part of her life, and her community. She knows everything about plants and loves nothing more than having her hands in the earth - encouraging something to spring forth and grow.
I would not consider myself a gardener...yet. 

So far life has had me busy focusing on other pursuits - education, teaching, traveling, yoga and of course being a mother to our four children. But in each place we make our home I try to build a garden, even if it is just a few plants in pots. I make mistakes (aka..kill things) and learn lots. 
These are the times when I wish I could have my mom beside me teaching me the things I want to know now, but was too busy as a younger woman to listen to. 
But with her living in Honduras and me here in Ethiopia I have to rely on emailing her my gardening questions and exploring the pictures of other people's gorgeous gardens.

What about you? Is there something you wish your younger self had learned from your parents or family?



No comments:

Post a Comment